Food forms a major part of our existence. Many “eat to live” and others “live to eat”. Some like spicy food some have a sweet tooth. Some relish “ghar ka khana” some swear by a so called restaurant specialty. Each one of us has a different choice, different liking.
But for all of us the ultimate food is piping hot food made and served by our mother. There is no doubt about it. Even though its simple dal rice, its tastes yumm, when it is served by our Mom.
Rice and coconut are staple ingredients of people along coastal Maharashtra and Karnataka. No dish is complete until it has a dash of fresh grated coconut as garnish. Be it any sweet dish or a savory dish rice and coconut forms a part of that dish in one form or other.
One of such dish which makes me drool is a typical Mangalorean – Udupi dish which is made during Gudipadva festival at all households. It’s called “seviya – ras”. It’s basically rice flour noodles served with coconut milk sweeten with jaggery and flavoured with cardamom powder. It is one of dish which my mom makes and I can never have my fill, no matter how much I eat.
For Rice Noodles
1 cup rice flour
1 cup water
Salt to taste
1 teaspoon oil
For Ras (sweet coconut milk)
2 cups of thick coconut milk
Jaggery according to taste
- In a thick bottom vessel, add water and bring it to boil.
- Add salt and oil to this water while it’s getting heated.
- Once water starts boiling add the rice flour, and keep stirring till it all the water is absorbed and it forms a lump.
- Allow it to cool.
- Once it’s cooled, make balls of the cooked dough and steam it in steamer or cooker just as we steam while making idlis, for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Once its steamed, keep the seviya maker ready as the noodles has to be made when the rice balls are bit hot.
- If you don’t have the traditional seviya maker at home, you get these modern, handy, easy to use seviya maker in market, one can use that also.
- While making the seviya, one has to take care that the seviya has to be made when the rice balls are hot, else the seviya won’t be that soft and fluffy.
- To make the Ras; in a bowl add the coconut milk.
- Add jaggery according to one’s taste. Some prefer very sweet some less. Stir till the jaggery dissolves.
- Add the cardamom powder.
- Serve hot piping seviya with cold sweet coconut milk.
- Once you taste this, I am sure you will want to eat more.
For more of easy and yummy recipes check out my food blog www.fud4health.blogspot.in